How to Treat Scars Left Behind After Acne
Acne is bad enough. Acne scars are even worse. Read on to get Olay’s tips for improving the look of acne scars.
What Is An Acne Scar?
An acne scar is a mark on the skin left after a blemish subsides. Scars occur when the inflammation of a blemish causes a loss of collagen, which is skin’s support structure.For those with darker skin tones, acne scarring often results in darkening of the skin, or hyperpigmentation. People with lighter skin tones may show redness (erythema) from scars.
Top Tips to Reduce the Look of Acne Scars
1. Stop Picking
• Don't pick those pimples! Picking or popping pimples significantly increases the likelihood of scarring.
2. Use Key Products and Ingredients
• A tone improving moisturizer with a brightening complex can help reduce the appearance of dark spots.
• Salicylic acid can also help with acne scars since it’s a chemical exfoliate that can help reduce the look of post inflammatory pigmentation.
3. Be Aware of the Sun
• Staying out in the sun can worsen the look of acne scars. UV rays stimulate melanocytes which produce pigment, causing the acne scar to darken.
• Use a broad spectrum UVA-UVB daily moisturizer with SPF 15.
If your acne scars are severe enough and the appearance has not been improved with continued use of a topical treatment, you may want to consult a dermatologist.